Upgrade Path for Old Version of Samba4

Pavel Herrmann morpheus.ibis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 10:21:27 MDT 2013

Hi

On Sunday 04 of August 2013 21:37:30 Matthieu Patou wrote:
> On 08/01/2013 08:48 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 17:05 +0100, Mark Walker wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I have asked the question before but as the project has been set back
> >> due to usual office workload demands I shall ask again incase anything
> >> has changed.
> >>
> >> We are currently running Samba 4.0.0alpha12-GIT-dbbbc7d and are looking
> >> to migrate to 4.0.8 current. Is there any specific procedure we need to
> >> go through in order to ensure data files are in the correct state for
> >> the newer version?
> >>
> >> We are currently running the older ntvfs file server backend.
> >
> > I probably need to work with you closely to upgrade something this.  Any
> > advise I have given in the past is probably still valid.
> >
> > The difficultly we have is that the best tool for this
> > (upgradeprovision) we have retired for now, because we need more tests.
> > Most of the issues are addressed by dbcheck now, but neither is
> > complete, particularly with such an old release.
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
>
> Maybe a mix of upgradeprovision and dbcheck might give you what he
> wants, this needs of course to be tested in a cloned server.
>
> Matthieu.

I am facing a similar situation, I have a running deployment currently on
alpha17, and I am looking to upgrade to a current release.

My plan is to create a new DC to join the domain, transfer FSMOs, sysvol etc,
and then remove the original one, rather than upgrading in place.

Are there any issue I should be expecting?

Pavel Herrmann