Samba4 file server status

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 12:21:15 MDT 2013

On 14/08/13 18:50, Juan Pablo Lorier wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean that OP populated the gid
> and uid in the AD?. If I'm not wrong, Windows server uses SID for the
> users and groups and is winbind the one that maps this SIDs with unix
> gids and uids and this maps are stored in the database chosen to use
> with winbind. If I do wbinfo -u and -g I get both users and groups.
> I even was able to chown a directory using a domain user without
> problem, but I can't now as it complaints that the user doesn't exists.
> Regards,
Hi, the reason that I asked was because you posted ( via a web link)
your smb.conf and it had this line in it:
idmap config CANAL4 :backend = ad

This means that winbind looks for gidNumbers & uidNumbers and will only
display users & groups that have them, or to put it another way, without
any uidNumbers & gidNumbers in the AD database winbind will not show any
users or groups.

Rowland