fcntl spinlock in Linux?

Alex Korobkin korobkin+smb at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 15:15:43 MDT 2013

Hi all,

I found this discussion here, while troubleshooting an issue with kernel
getting stuck in spin_lock() when a Samba 3.6-based printserver serves
multiple Windows clients.
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2013-January/090122.html

The issue is hard to reproduce. All I can see is random printservers
crashing once in several days, with kernel (v3.2.5) being stuck in the same
spin_lock function.

The discussion suggests this patch to try with the kernel:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2013-January/090224.html

I'm not very confident about patching the kernel, and curious if there is
anything I could try to mitigate it on Samba's side. What would you
recommend?

Thanks in advance.
-Alex