IDMAP_INIT_DOMAN

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue Aug 13 05:31:52 MDT 2013

Hi,

On 2013-08-13 at 11:38 +0200, JKetabchy at swd-ag.de wrote:

> Ich have some problems getting winbindd to work with nuew params
> idmap config:
>
> smb.conf:
> idmap config <mydomain> : backend = rid
> idmap config <mydomain>: range = 10000-20000
>
> log.winbindd-idmap
> [2013/08/13 11:28:17.545009,  1, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0)]
> winbindd/idmap.c:201(idmap_init_domain)
>   idmap range not specified for domain *
>
> what does domain "*" mean here?
> do i have to define a domain wildcard with *?

You always need a default or fallback configuration for
ID mapping to catch SIDs from those domains that are not
covered by explicit configurations like your above rid
example.

Since Samba 3.6 the "*" stands for this "default" domain.
This replaces the now deprecated paramters "idmap backend",
"idmap uid" and "idmap gid".

I.e. where for samba 3.5 and older you would have written

idmap backend = tdb
idmap uid = 30000-40000
idmap gid = 30000-40000

you write now:

idmap config * : backend = tdb
idmap config * : range = 30000-40000

Not that "idmap config * : backend" defaults to tdb
just like "idmap backend" before.

There are more details in the manual page "man smb.conf"
under "idmap config". Also the manual pages for the
various backends contain explanations and examples:
"man idmap_tdb", "man idmap_rid", ...
The up-to-date manual pages can also be read online:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages/

I hope this helps.

Cheers - Michael