Samba vs Samba4? (GSoC question)

luke morrison luc785 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 10 11:40:26 MDT 2013

Hello Samba-technical,
My name is Luke Morrison and this is not my first time emailing to Samba-Technical. This may be my last big comprehensive "push" for my GSoC project. So sorry in advance if I touch on more than just one thing in the process.
I will try and not make it too long, but at the same time be as specific with my question as possible,
To my understanding dynamic DNS makes use of asynchronous events in the memory loop that is samba.That is "tevent" is the main tool used to process signals, events, timers and handlers. I also think that in order to create a new service aka gpoupdates (on server end), I would also have to make use of such tools. If these assumptions are wrong, feel free to correct me.
So here is my question: Is the service initialized in the build process?So when the samba daemons start, if there is an event loop that was finished before due to samba stopping, how does it be able to restart?In other words, abarltet on IRC informed me that "it is all within the source code". This is very helpful as a programmer, because it makes me think that I can just write a .c file as a handler for events and timers and execute my gpoupdate pyfile. I strongly believe that for prototyping, a lot of ldb management and file handling, python is a billion times more simple, so I want to keep that end python. But for events, updates synchronous events, do I have a choice but to use .c (there is always a choice, but which is "better"?).
And how does Samba get initilized, the whole old school C load_parm_context thing is a bit fuzzy for new development. I caught on quickly to samdb, because it is in python and quite explicit, but in terms of Samba, like the original Samba, would I have to initialize it in n "old" school way to start this service? Any clues or model boiler plate code files recommended to see exactly how this is done?

Thank you, this seems to be a last hurdle or two before the finish. I can already map GPO to Samba through ldb, and control sysvol gpos, I just need to know the automated way to update them.
Regards,
Luke Morrison