Samba4 using existing DNS and LDAP

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Wed Aug 7 22:24:55 MDT 2013

On 08/07/2013 05:11 AM, C.Kindler wrote:
> Hello Mat,
>
> found your comment on
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-August/174903.html
>
> "Well you can use the bind-dlz plugins so that samba use bind instead of
> its own internal server.
> Another option is to configure your global DNS to use Samba as the
> source of authority just for the domain of your AD."
>
> Is the config on the global DNS in use with the bind-dlz on the AD?
> That means the bind-dlz is running on the AD-Server, and the global
> DNS has the edited config for the domain.
I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand the question.

What I'm suggesting is :

1) use the bind-dlz plugin to use bind instead of the internal DNS
server, bind must run on the same servers as Samba
2) use the internal server for the dns zone ad.mycompany.com but have a
bind configured to handle mycompany.com and configure it to forward any
requests for ad.mycompany.com to the samba DNS server. If you want to do
DDNS with DHCP you have to configure the dns domain to mycompany.com so
that it goes to the master Bind.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou