dosmode.c:get_ea_dos_attributes switches off lp_store_dos_attributes in cases when it shouldn't

Wed Aug 7 00:47:09 MDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 03:48:19PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> In source3/smbd/dosmode.c:get_ea_dos_attributes we see this:
>
>         if (!lp_store_dos_attributes(SNUM(conn))) {
>                 return False;
>         }
>
>         /* Don't reset pattr to zero as we may already have
> filename-based attributes we
>            need to preserve. */
>
>         sizeret = SMB_VFS_GETXATTR(conn, smb_fname->base_name,
>                                    SAMBA_XATTR_DOS_ATTRIB, attrstr,
>                                    sizeof(attrstr));
>         if (sizeret == -1) {
>                 if (errno == ENOSYS
> #if defined(ENOTSUP)
>                         || errno == ENOTSUP) {
> #else
>                                 ) {
> #endif
>                         DEBUG(1,("get_ea_dos_attribute: Cannot get attribute "
>                                  "from EA on file %s: Error = %s\n",
>                                  smb_fname_str_dbg(smb_fname),
>                                  strerror(errno)));
>                         set_store_dos_attributes(SNUM(conn), False);
>                 }
>                 return False;
>         }
>
> Imagine if you will Samba running on a system with multiple file
> systems all of which have shares on them. If one of those file systems
> does not support XATTRs, and we stumble across it, we will switch off
> DOS attributes in XATTRs for all of them and the user will be
> scratching his head about why DOS attributes no longer works
> sometimes.

If I read that correctly, this is at least per share. It
does not help if you have submounts within a share with
different behaviour, but it will not globally disable xattrs
I believe.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de