Samba4 AD SysVol Replication (HowTo + Script)

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Sun Aug 4 23:17:22 MDT 2013

On 07/23/2013 11:44 PM, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 July 2013 00:01:57 Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
>> Hello,
> Hi Marc,
>
>> as it is often a question here on the lists and by many others on the
>> internet, I wrote a new HowTo for setting up a SysVol replication
>> "workaround", until Samba supports this feature by itself:
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SysVol_Replication
>>
>> For the replication process, I wrote a Bash script, put it on my
>> webspace and linked it in the HowTo, which should describe everything.
> have you looked at csync [1]? It is a bidirectional file synchronizer and can
> keep two directories in sync. rsync can only sync in one direction. A new
> version of csync should be released this week.

My replication script was using csync + rsync to do the job, I would use
rsync to do the staging between 2 hosts and then csync between the
staging area and the real sysvol folder.
Mostly because csync didn't (still doesn't ?) support replication of
extended attributes on remote hosts but because it supports 2 ways sync
it's much better suited for replication than rsync.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team