echo_server tevent_req sample code

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Aug 1 18:02:19 MDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-30 at 14:47 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Attached find sample code file for lib/tevent that
> implements a self-contained echo server. I would like to
> publish this with a permissive license, so that anybody can
> make use of it. I copied tevent_req_is_unix_error, according
> to git blame this is exclusively my code, so I should be
> able to relicense. I need to find out how to weave this into
> the doxygen documentation. Then I would thoroughly extend
> its documentation to make it a "best practices" starting
> point for tevent_req use. Possibly a simple echo client
> doing parallel client connects could follow.
>
> Comments?

G'Day,

Good examples are always a really good thing, and I think this a really
sensible idea.  The permissive license seems entirely sensible for the
use case you want here.  Per your follow-up, I don't see how it harms
the rest of Samba.  Having it in the tree means we can build it and
ensure it still works.

The license text itself seems ideal for sample code, is it a standard
license?   I couldn't find this specific text online, but by the same
token I couldn't find any suitable standard license either.

The only reason I ask is that folks who classify Free Software code for
distributions find it easier if they can just mark it down as 'BSD' or
some other specific, well known tag.

Thanks,

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT                   http://catalyst.net.nz