samba with openldap provisioning

Nadezhda Ivanova nivanova at samba.org
Thu Aug 1 03:53:50 MDT 2013

Hi Andrew,
I've been trying to provision samba to use openldap backend, but have been
unsuccessful so far, and as there are no error messages, I am not sure if I
am doing something wrong or it is a bug introduced after development was
discontinued. The howto has been removed from the wiki. I have a working
installation of OpenLDAP - installed but not running (running or not, it
seems to make no difference). I was unable to find if some special openldap
configuration was needed, so I only have one database configured for my
domain.

This is my command line:

/usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --realm=
nadya.com --domain=testdomain --host-name=drizzit --host-ip=127.0.0.1
--adminpass=Secret123 --root=root --server-role="domain controller"
--ldapadminpass=secret --ldap-backend-type=openldap -d 7

And the output is:

INFO: Current debug levels:
  all: 7
  tdb: 7
  printdrivers: 7
  lanman: 7
  smb: 7
  rpc_parse: 7
  rpc_srv: 7
  rpc_cli: 7
  passdb: 7
  sam: 7
  auth: 7
  winbind: 7
  vfs: 7
  idmap: 7
  quota: 7
  acls: 7
  locking: 7
  msdfs: 7
  dmapi: 7
  registry: 7
  scavenger: 7
  dns: 7
  ldb: 7
lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
"/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[sysvol]"
pm_process() returned Yes
lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
"/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[sysvol]"
pm_process() returned Yes
No IPv4 address will be assigned
Looking up IPv6 addresses
added interface wlan0 ip=192.168.11.146 bcast=192.168.11.255
netmask=255.255.255.0
No IPv6 address will be assigned
lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
Initialising global parameters
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
"/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
doing parameter workgroup = TESTDOMAIN
doing parameter realm = nadya.com
doing parameter netbios name = DRIZZIT
doing parameter server role = active directory domain controller
doing parameter log level = 7
INFO: Current debug levels:
  all: 7
  tdb: 7
  printdrivers: 7
  lanman: 7
  smb: 7
  rpc_parse: 7
  rpc_srv: 7
  rpc_cli: 7
  passdb: 7
  sam: 7
  auth: 7
  winbind: 7
  vfs: 7
  idmap: 7
  quota: 7
  acls: 7
  locking: 7
  msdfs: 7
  dmapi: 7
  registry: 7
  scavenger: 7
  dns: 7
  ldb: 7
doing parameter dns forwarder = 127.0.1.1
Processing section "[netlogon]"
doing parameter path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/nadya.com/scripts
doing parameter read only = No
Processing section "[sysvol]"
doing parameter path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
doing parameter read only = No
pm_process() returned Yes
lp_servicenumber: couldn't find homes
Initialising default vfs hooks
Successfully added vfs backend 'posixacl'
Successfully added vfs backend '/[Default VFS]/'
Successfully added vfs backend 'dfs_samba4'
Initialising custom vfs hooks from [/[Default VFS]/]
Successfully loaded vfs module [/[Default VFS]/] with the new modules system
Initialising custom vfs hooks from [acl_xattr]
vfs module [acl_xattr] not loaded - trying to load...
/usr/local/samba/lib/vfs/acl_xattr.so
Module 'acl_xattr' loaded
Successfully added vfs backend 'acl_xattr'
Successfully loaded vfs module [acl_xattr] with the new modules system
Initialising custom vfs hooks from [dfs_samba4]
Successfully loaded vfs module [dfs_samba4] with the new modules system
connect_acl_xattr: setting 'inherit acls = true' 'dos filemode = true' and
'force unknown acl user = true' for service Unknown Service (snum == -1)
Initialising default vfs hooks
Initialising custom vfs hooks from [/[Default VFS]/]
Successfully loaded vfs module [/[Default VFS]/] with the new modules system
Initialising custom vfs hooks from [acl_xattr]
Successfully loaded vfs module [acl_xattr] with the new modules system
Initialising custom vfs hooks from [dfs_samba4]
Successfully loaded vfs module [dfs_samba4] with the new modules system
connect_acl_xattr: setting 'inherit acls = true' 'dos filemode = true' and
'force unknown acl user = true' for service Unknown Service (snum == -1)

The same command works fine without the openldap options.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Nadya