up-to-date samba4 debian wheezy package ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 26 17:05:37 MDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 18:31 +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting denis bonnenfant (denis.bonnenfant at diderot.org):
>
> > 3 - Packages in debian wheezy/sid are really old ! providing beta-2
> > in a distrib is worse than nothing !
>
> Please don't yell. We're aware about that but, unfortunately, the
> timing of the Samba4 releases didn't match the timing ofthe wheezy freeze.

It has to be understood that the purpose of the samba4 package in debian
is (as I understand it) not primarily to provide the AD DC, but to
provide the libraries for openchange.

> > 4 - experimental provides 4.0.3, but it can't be backported easily (see 2)
> >
> > So my question is : is it worth to spend time modifying existing
> > debian sources, or is there any chances to have in near future an
> > up-to-date official debian wheezy package ?
>
> Official: zero chance.
>
> Backported: maybe. But that will happen when we first have released a
> merged "samba" package that is "Samba4" but includes file and printing
> services.
>
> This will be "some day" uploaded to unstable, targeting Debian
> jessie. The, once it enters "testing", it is likely that we work on a
> backport (in the hope it won't require us to backport too many
> packages)
>
> The next step for all this is merging the functionalities of the
> current "samba" package into what is currently "samba4" in
> experimental, then release it as "samba".

And this is where I was working, but I've been caught up on other
things, so I've not made progress in a couple of months.  I probably
need someone else to take over, but for now it remains on 'my list'.

I got stuck at the point of rebasing the changes on the 'samba'
bzr-converted-to-git tree rather than the 'samba4' git tree.

> The tricky part will be handling upgrades from existing Samba3 steups

Indeed!