up-to-date samba4 debian wheezy package ?

denis bonnenfant denis.bonnenfant at diderot.org
Fri Apr 26 07:00:35 MDT 2013

Hello,

We are trying to compile an up-to-date debian wheezy package, but all
our attempts were unsuccessful :

1 - the wiki way :  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Debian

It fails in
./debian/rules get-orig-source binary
dh get-orig-source --with python2
dh: Unknown sequence get-orig-source (choose from: binary binary-arch
binary-indep build build-arch build-indep clean install install-arch
install-indep)
make: *** [get-orig-source] Erreur 255

I tried to install first all the dependancies found in debian/control,
but then I fall in (2)

2 - dependancies in debian/control are too strict about versions,
preventing any compilation in Wheezy. It is definitely not needed, as
compiling samba4 from git works perfectly with wheezy's libs.

3 - Packages in debian wheezy/sid are really old ! providing beta-2 in a
distrib is worse than nothing !

4 - experimental provides 4.0.3, but it can't be backported easily (see 2)

So my question is : is it worth to spend time modifying existing debian
sources, or is there any chances to have in near future an up-to-date
official debian wheezy package ?

Thanks,

Denis Bonnenfant