Has anyone joined a Samba 3.6.x server to a Samba 4.0.x domain controller?

Andrew Walters aw-sambalists at silverstream.net.nz
Mon Apr 22 22:22:18 MDT 2013

I have 2x "Franky inspired" deployments that were set up when Samba4's filesharing was a bit lacking back around alpha14 which are still configured like that.

The joins were set up when Samba3 was at 3.5 for Centos (and RHEL), which since went up to 3.6.

One problem though is that group enumeration (by way of getent group) only works for the first 10 or so seconds that winbind is alive, and then only once. (I use this for my user provisioning scripts which are currently broken as a result, I plan to have them trawl wbinfo output for the info they need).

Andrew W