NT ADS Join from Samba 3.6.6+ to Windows Server 2008 ADS fails with ACCESS_DENIED?

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 08:17:55 MDT 2013

Actually, it sounds like your customer manually enabled 1 or more of the
group policy settings to require digital signatures of network traffic, and
that's why the reg keys were set. I looked through the "Group Policy
Settings Reference" spreadsheet available on microsoft.com, and I think
these are all the signing-related settings on server 2008 R2. It was
probably the LDAP settings that affected you:
  Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options
Domain controller: LDAP server signing requirements  Computer
Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options Domain
member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always)  Computer
Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options Domain
member: Digitally sign secure channel data (when possible)   Computer
Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options Microsoft
network client: Digitally sign communications (always)  Computer
Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options Microsoft
network client: Digitally sign communications (if server agrees)   Computer
Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options Microsoft
network server: Digitally sign communications (always)  Computer
Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options Microsoft
network server: Digitally sign communications (if client agrees)  Computer
Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options Network
security: LDAP client signing requirements

Samba's smb.conf has similar digital signature options.I looked through the
manpage for smb.conf, I think they are:
client ldap sasl wrapping (G)
client signing (G)
server signing (G)

So I am fairly certain that changing "client ldap sasl wrapping" from the
default 3.6.6 value of "plain" to "sign" would have solved your problem
without you having to modify server-side reg keys.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe at gmail.com