OpenLDAP and Samba4

Mon Apr 22 00:22:14 MDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 03:00:26PM -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> >>Pardon my stupidity but I'm not understanding how the OL with LDB
> >>this would help migrating to a mdb backend.
> >>In my opinion moving to an MDB backend or samdb being an OL overlay
> >>is a huge rewrite of our code, nothing impossible but I'd like to
> >>remind the quote of Jeremy: "How many of you know project that have
> >>succeeded doing a rewrite from scratch", because although we have
> >>separate modules they are pretty much interdependent.
> >So what we need is a possibly hackish way to make this work
> >*now* with all the modules work on top off a slapd. If the
> >transactions are a concern, hack them into an extended
> >operation. Even if they stall all of the rest of OpenLDAP,
> >it won't be worse than what we have now.
> Can you develop this point, why the current situation is that bad ?

I can't point at specific problems right now, but that is
mainly because I have not yet seen larger environments with
AD. However, my recent experience with tuning the SMB and
cluster environment is that even a much older and more
widely used code basis (smbd) can hold really bad and hard
to overcome surprises. So I would really like to stand on
OpenLDAP's shoulders to see farther.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de