OpenLDAP and Samba4

Sun Apr 21 01:31:11 MDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 02:55:23PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 01:14:06PM -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
>
> > The biggest part of our "LDAP" code is in the ldb modules unless I
> > misunderstood something and either with tdb or openldap as the
> > backend we will have to support this.
>
> I'd still rather that code be in OpenLDAP rather
> than Samba :-).

What do you exactly mean by this? There's quite a bit of
logic in the ldb modules that need to be part of the LDAP
operations but that are definitely AD specific. I'd host
most of that inside the Samba source code and load as
modules into OpenLDAP.

Another concern Tridge had with OpenLDAP was configuration
complexity, but that was well before the config-ldap stuff.
I think nowadays we could fire off a slapd and configure it
completely via some privileged socket, right?

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de