samba4 domain problem

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Sat Apr 20 08:23:30 MDT 2013

On 20/04/13 14:57, Ricky Nance wrote:

> Rowland, according to his info that file does exist. That being said,
> Keresztes, you should only run one DNS server, there is much more
> configuration involved if you try to run 2 on the same machine, and to
> be honest I am not even 100% sure its possible to do so. For right now
> you need to decide if you want to run named or internal DNS, after you
> decide that, we can help more.
>
> Keep us posted,
> Ricky
>
> On Apr 20, 2013 4:22 AM, "Rowland Penny" <repenny at f2s.com
> <mailto:repenny at f2s.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 20/04/13 09:55, Keresztes Péter-Zoltán wrote:
>
>         I am using an internal dns server. In fact the dns server is
>         running on the same machine as the samba4. That is why it was
>         provisioned like this. I have tried also with BIND9_DLZ and I
>         haven't went farther then this.
>

>         On 2013.04.20., at 11:49, Rowland Penny <repenny at f2s.com
>         <mailto:repenny at f2s.com>> wrote:
>
>             On 20/04/13 09:28, Keresztes Péter-Zoltán wrote:
>
>                 Hi,
>                 when I have provisioned it I did not mentioned
>                 anything about dns, I have used this command line:
>                 samba-tool domain provision --realm=demo.local
>                 --domain=DEMO --adminpass=P at ssw0rd --server-role=dc
>                 --host-ip=10.0.0.102
>                 I have took the command line from the first tutorial
>                 video (the one with the adding windows 7 to a domain)
>
>                 Peter
>                 On 2013.04.20., at 11:24, Rowland Penny
>                 <repenny at f2s.com <mailto:repenny at f2s.com>> wrote:
>
>                     On 20/04/13 08:45, Keresztes Péter-Zoltán wrote:
>
>                         ls -alh /var/lib/samba/private/named.conf.update
>
>                     Hi, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here
>                     whilst waiting for Ricky, but just how did you
>                     provision Samba 4 because I am sure you only get
>                     the line 'dns forwarder = 10.0.0.102' with the
>                     internal dns server.
>
>                     Rowland
>

>                     --
>                     This message has been scanned for viruses and
>                     dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
>                     believed to be clean.
>

>             OK, I suggest that you go back to
>             https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO ( I presume
>             that is where you started) and read the rest of that page,
>             you have provisioned to use the internal dns server.
>
>             Rowland
>
>             --
>             This message has been scanned for viruses and
>             dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
>             believed to be clean.
>

>     Then why are you trying to start named? it will try to run on port
>     53, the same port that the internal samba 4 dns server runs on.
>     Also the reason why you are getting denied permission to
>     '/var/lib/samba/private/named.conf.update' is because it probably
>     doesn't exist.
>
>     Rowland
>

>     --
>     This message has been scanned for viruses and
>     dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
>     believed to be clean.
>

> --
> [...]

Hi Ricky, yes you are right, he does have the file in question, my
mistake, should have read & understand the posts fully, but having said
that my conclusion was correct, he was trying to run bind with the
internal dns and this will never work. The OP has now posted that he
accepts this and has now provisioned to use bind instead of the internal
dns server and as you say if he requires help,  we are all here to help him.

Just one further thing, can you please try to stop top posting, it
breaks the flow of the thread.

Rowland

believed to be clean.