[GSoC 2013]Interested in Porting Samba to GTK3

Dhananjay Sathe dhananjaysathe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 10:06:45 MDT 2013

Hello Prannoy,

If you have a look at the https://github.com/dhananjaysathe/samba-gtk in
the Gtk-3 branch. It has all already been ported to Gobject based Gtk3. The
toolkit in general works but it does a few showstopper bugs affecting some
functionality that would be nice to have. The issue presently (as of the
last time i tried) is to do with the samba-python bindings. While we did
manage to plug a lot of these holes and added a some functionality, they
seem to change and are broken. The user manager is complete and works (some
work can be put in here) but again, some functions are missing the right
data, due to lack of documentation (esp the methods which are samba
specific and not documented in MSDN) . Some other methods are not
fully/partially implemented (add/remove shares). Similar issued with the
regedit module most of it works but certain rare corner cases cause it to
crash seemingly at random. Perhaps a bit of work could be done on the bin
utilities , again the methods here changed drastically (mgmt, epmapper, misc)
are now mixed up and the MSDN docu is not too useful and pydoc is sparse,
the regedit in the bin is not ported to Gtk3 but there is an rpc based
implementation in the sambagtk package now so , i presume it would be a
duplicate , any missing functionality could be added in to the new utility
. The domain join stuff should work in theory , may need some debugging ,
as of the last time whatever worked in samba-python was tested and fixed,
some underlying stuff is broken there too.

If you could try it out and perhaps try fixing these, perhaps some changes
have been made in samba-python so the methods now work. If you run into any
issues drop a mail , ill try responding asap. Jelmer could advice you
better over what is the current todo status. Also I will revisit the code
and see if we can make it work , else at-least release a stable build of
the stuff that works and could be quite useful, later we could plug the
holes and add in the stuff as it gets fixed.

Cheers !

Cheers !

Final Yr Undergraduate , BITS Pilani, Goa.
Research Assistant , RoboEarth Project
Institute for Dynamic Systems and Control,
ETH Zürich, Switzerland.
dhananjaysathe at gmail.com |  f2009260 at goa.bits-pilani.ac.in |
dsathe at ethz.ch| +41 76-710-2202