OpenLDAP and Samba4

C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP cjac at colliertech.org
Wed Apr 17 20:35:25 MDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-17 at 17:13 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 02:58:29PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> > Hey there list, Andrew... I keep meaning to have this discussion
> > with Andrew and then it always slips by, but this time for sure.
> >
> > I'll keep this short - my colleagues at Symas want to know what it
> > will take to bring OpenLDAP up to date to be usable directly by
> > Samba as a first-class recommended option, not just "yeah that
> > should work but..." I've reviewed some of the previous discussions
> > on this topic in the archives, but I suspect some of those points
> > are now out of date.
> >
> > I recall that we need to implement LDAP Transaction support, but of
> > course that's just one of many missing features. Also, are there
> > developers on the Samba team who can spend some time with us to make
> > sure that what we write actually fits with how Samba uses things?
>
> Thanks for bringing this up Howard (disclaimer, I met Howard
> over lunch at the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit and
> asked him to raise this :-).
>
> I'd love to get the OpenLDAP developers more engaged with
> Samba Active Directory as now we have a working implementation
> we can actually create a laundry list of issues we need to
> address in order to integrate a full AD-DC with OpenLDAP.
>
> Cheers,
>
> 	Jeremy.

In case you're looking for someone to give this a go in production, I
have enough capacity in the hypervisor for another debian machine, an
interest in setting up a domain controller at ad0.colliertech.org, and
enough know-how to build from HEAD.  or trunk.  or master.  or whatever
the cool kids call it these days.

I'm a big fan of all of your work and very much appreciate you putting
so much energy in to such an interesting problem.

Cheers,

C.J.