OpenLDAP and Samba4

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Apr 17 18:13:17 MDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 02:58:29PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> Hey there list, Andrew... I keep meaning to have this discussion
> with Andrew and then it always slips by, but this time for sure.
>
> I'll keep this short - my colleagues at Symas want to know what it
> will take to bring OpenLDAP up to date to be usable directly by
> Samba as a first-class recommended option, not just "yeah that
> should work but..." I've reviewed some of the previous discussions
> on this topic in the archives, but I suspect some of those points
> are now out of date.
>
> I recall that we need to implement LDAP Transaction support, but of
> course that's just one of many missing features. Also, are there
> developers on the Samba team who can spend some time with us to make
> sure that what we write actually fits with how Samba uses things?

Thanks for bringing this up Howard (disclaimer, I met Howard
over lunch at the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit and
asked him to raise this :-).

I'd love to get the OpenLDAP developers more engaged with
Samba Active Directory as now we have a working implementation
we can actually create a laundry list of issues we need to
address in order to integrate a full AD-DC with OpenLDAP.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.