Samba 4 and winbind

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Apr 15 14:52:23 MDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 07:35:03PM +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:

> OK, listen to bug 9795, but in my opinion ( for what it is worth )

Thanks !

> winbind is rubbish, god knows how many backends and setting options,
> have you looked at sssd lately?

Yes, quite recently actually. What you have to remember is
that winbindd has been developed for a long time, and we've
been learning along the way - the developers of sssd were
some of the people who also added the backends and setting
options to winbindd, as they were also learning how this
thing should be done.

sssd is an excellent solution, and the developers of sssd
had the benefits of being able to learn from how winbindd
was developed and any mistakes that were made along the way
(many of which you still see as legacy support for the many
backends and setting options :-).

> Also they say that the truth hurts.

No, directionless moaning without purpose hurts :-). The
truth is always welcome :-).

Jeremy