Samba 4 and winbind

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Mon Apr 15 12:35:03 MDT 2013

On 15/04/13 19:03, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 05:12:36PM +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
>> OK, do you really want me to log a bug that basically says that
>> because S3 & S4 winbinds are different and the fact that you cannot
>> get the same uidNumber on the server as on the clients that winbind
>> is broken!!
> Yes.
>
>> You didn't answer the question either, why is winbind built into the
>> samba4 samba daemon.
> It was easier to finish the AD DC code with it internal. I
> would like to see the needed code merged into the source3
> winbindd code and this code replace the built-in version.
> The external code has had more testing in production
> use (IMHO). Having said that I'm not currently writing
> that code, so I don't really have a say over anyone who
> might actually do so.
>
>> Also, have you ever stopped to think why it is so popular to bitch
>> about winbind? could it actually be because it is RUBBISH!!
> "winbind is RUBBISH" isn't a bug report. I'm only listening
> to bug reports :-).

OK, listen to bug 9795, but in my opinion ( for what it is worth )
winbind is rubbish, god knows how many backends and setting options,
have you looked at sssd lately?
Also they say that the truth hurts.

>> Samba 4 as an AD replacement is a great achievement, it just seems
>> to me that Linux users are an after thought.
> Oh cry me a river :-). Linux users are the complete
> focus of Samba. If you want to hear moaning, run on
> HPUX or AIX :-).
>
> Jeremy.

I personally do not use HPUX or AIX, but I am sure any problems users of
either have, are just as valid as mine.

Rowland

believed to be clean.