Samba 4 and winbind

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Mon Apr 15 10:12:36 MDT 2013

On 15/04/13 16:47, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 04:42:50PM +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> Again, this I understand, but if Winbind was a stand alone daemon,
>> like it is with S3, then you could choose to use it or not. I
>> actually think that if there was a choice then most people would
>> choose not to use winbind due to its complexity  and inconsistency.
> Oh, bitching on winbindd again. Very popular on this list it
> seems :-).
>
> If you have specific problems, please log bugs. Don't just
> try and make some specific code into the boogyman, we've
> had enough of proprietarty vendors doing that against the
> whole of Samba thanks very much, we don't need our own users
> to join in.
>
> Jeremy.

OK, do you really want me to log a bug that basically says that because
S3 & S4 winbinds are different and the fact that you cannot get the same
uidNumber on the server as on the clients that winbind is broken!!

You didn't answer the question either, why is winbind built into the
samba4 samba daemon.

Also, have you ever stopped to think why it is so popular to bitch about
winbind? could it actually be because it is RUBBISH!!

Samba 4 as an AD replacement is a great achievement, it just seems to me
that Linux users are an after thought.

Rowland

believed to be clean.