Samba 4 and winbind

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Mon Apr 15 08:41:38 MDT 2013

On 15/04/13 11:59, Rowland Penny wrote:
> Hi, does anybody know if there is a way to turn of the winbind part of
> the samba daemon?
>
> Rowland

OK, replying to myself, to turn off winbind add 'server services =
-winbind' but this did not help with my problem of mounting cifs shares
at login and then being able to actually write to them. This is using
sssd pulling all users info from AD.

What it did do, is to start me thinking (yes I know, probably dangerous
;-) ) Samba 4 is supposed to be a clone of a windows server and work in
the same way, so why does the samba daemon have winbind built into it,
windows servers aren't like that.

As far as I know, you can add posix uidNumbers etc to the AD, but
windows never uses them itself, so shouldn't samba 4 work the same way?
If winbind was removed from the samba daemon, you would end up with
something that is nearer to a windows server and admins could then use
the backend of their choice to pull the info from the samba 4 AD.

Rowland

believed to be clean.