samba-tool dns

David Mansfield samba at dm.cobite.com
Mon Apr 15 08:13:40 MDT 2013

On 04/15/2013 07:15 AM, Alexis wrote:
>>    samba-tool dns add <dnsserver> my.domain @ MX "mailserver.my.domain 10"
>>
> Yes that's it.
> But now can you read it?
>
> With samba-4.0.4:
>
> samba-tool dns query <dnsserver> my.domain @ MX shows me all my records
> (I mean the whole domain !!) I can see the newly created MX though.
>
> dig @localhost my.domain A found the right A record.
>
> but
>
> dig @localhost my.domain MX doesn't find the MX record.
> and I've got this line in samba logs: Got unhandled type 15 query.
>
> My /etc/resolv.conf
> domain my.domain
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
> Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?
>
> Any comment would be apreciate.

I'm hitting the exact same problem. In my case I have a samba 4.0.1 DC
which was my only DC.  It has been working for a while and is still
working for querying MX records.  I added a 4.0.5 DC on another network,
and it will NOT resolve MX records, with the exact same symptoms:
samba-tool dns query will show the records, but a query against the
server returns NXDOMAIN.

Seems something broke possibly in a version > 4.0.1, or possibly with
the way DNS is replicated.

--
Thanks,
David Mansfield