two different versions of samba4 on different DC

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Thu Apr 11 14:33:02 MDT 2013

Hello David,

Am 11.04.2013 20:37, schrieb David Mansfield:
> Is it safe to run two DC in the same domain with different samba4
> versions?

If both are at least 4.0.x it sould be Ok. Maybe old alphas or betas
could be problematic in a mix with 4 final.

 > ... and I'd like to set up another DC with the latest version 4.0.4.

4.0.5 is already out :-)

> (I'm still not sure what the recommended upgrade path is to
 > the latest... or even if there is a safe upgrade path)

Thats how I upgraded from 4.0.1 to 4.0.5:
- Just 'configure/make/make install' to 4.0.4 about 3 weeks ago (I
skipped the version between).
- Tonight I 'configure/make/make install' to 4.0.5 and run 'samba-tool
dbcheck --reset-well-known-acls --fix' to fix (reset) all ACLs in the AD
(I had to run the command twice to fix everything). Andrew worked a lot
on that during the last time. Now all ACLs are fine and I could remove
the workaround 'acl:search = no' from smb.conf.

Regards,
Marc