should the outcome of samba-tool dns query ... be changed?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Apr 6 01:58:54 MDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 07:18 +0200, Günter Kukkukk wrote:
> During my current work on the internal dns server, i _always_ got
> confused with the outcome of the "complete" (?) internal dns info
> when using e.g.
>    samba-tool dns query <dns_server> <zone> @ ALL
>
> Compared to the wellknown bind "flat ASCII zone" file info
> published on _many_ websites (burned into my head) - the
> current output of "samba-tool .." is just strange.
>
> Probably users will start to parse the outcome of "samba-tool ..."
> using scripts.
>
> Is it OK to make that output more "bind ASCII flatfile" ?

As long as we do not loose data (and if we do, we should just move the
current view to an optional switch), I think this is really good idea.

It would also allow us to write tests which compare our DNS provisioning
that we would do to a flat file with that put into our DB and then
fetched again with this tool.