[Samba] SaMBa 4 - password complexity

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Thu Apr 4 13:10:56 MDT 2013

On 04/04/2013 09:37 AM, Celso Viana wrote:
> 2013/4/4 Matthieu Patou <mat at samba.org>

>>> Very interesting!
>>>
>>> My guess is that the Windows DC examined the group policy objects for
>>> the domain (perhaps some it provided itself) and found that the password
>>> policy was set.
>>>
>>> Samba doesn't know about group policy as a DC, so can't use that as the
>>> authoritative source, but it reads the setting in the directory that
>>> Windows would update.
>>>
>> Very likely,
>>
>> By default you have 2 GPO created, one that concerns everybody and one
>> that concerns DCs. I advise you to edit the second one from Windows 2008
>> and set the complexity as you expect it to be then it should be replicated
>> on the Samba DC as well soon.
>>
>> Matthieu.
>>
>> --
>> Matthieu Patou
>> Samba Team
>> http://samba.org
>>
>> --
>>

> What seems weird to me is that the "Windows 2008" joined the domain and
> "imposed" its policies to my domain. If I understood right, when the
> Windows DC joins my domain, he is the authoritative source for the DC group
> policies. is that right?
Well when you have 2 DC both are authoritative, so if one DC realize
that some attributes in the samdb are not aligned to the value defined
(or implied) by the group policy it fixes them, it looks pretty logical
to me. What is not correct is that if we can fix the password complexity
during provision we should also alter the DC only group policy to have
the same setting here.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou