Issue seen during samba share folder mount on windows clients.

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 10:35:11 MDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 8:16 AM, sandeep nag <sandeepnagamalli at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are two containers test1, test2 with same access permissions and
> windows client is able access test1 container and unable to access test2. I
> see the samba.conf, and other underlying component's config to be same for
> the both the containers.

I assume you mean share. Container is a Dell/Ocarina terminology and
since they make each container a share it means the same thing here,
but you will confuse people by using the wrong terminology.

> When I capture the mount operation through 'Map Network drive' operation. I
> see following:
>
> When I map test1 samba container, I see following commands in wireshark
> capture:
>
> *Session setup AndX Request, User systemxyz\user1; Tree connect AndX, Path:
> \\10.250.241.174\IPC$
> Session setup AndX Response; Tree connect AndX
> Trans2 Request, GET_DFS_REFERRAL, File:\\10.250.241.174\test1
> Trans2 Response, GET_DFS_REFERRAL, Erro: STATUS_NOT_FOUND
> Tree Connect AndX Request, Path: \\10.250.241.174\TEST1
> Tree Connect AndX Response*
>
> When I map test2 samba container, I see following commands in wireshark
> capture:
>
> *Session setup AndX Request, User systemxyz\user1; Tree connect AndX, Path:
> \\10.250.241.174\IPC$
> Session setup AndX Response; Tree connect AndX
> Trans2 Request, GET_DFS_REFERRAL, File:\\10.250.241.174\test2
> Trans2 Response, GET_DFS_REFERRAL, Erro: STATUS_NOT_FOUND
> Tree Disconnect Request
> Tree Disconnect Response*
>

> I observed the samba packet contents of above request,response commands but
> couldn,t find why
> "Tree Diconnect Request" command executed when I was accessing container
> test2.

Is it possible that you have disallowed signing or some other
parameter is set for the second share such that Windows does not like
it and gives up.

Note that the Tree Disconnect is for the IPC$ share. Did the client
also drop the connection as well?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe