Issue seen during samba share folder mount on windows clients.

sandeep nag sandeepnagamalli at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 09:16:05 MDT 2013

There are two containers test1, test2 with same access permissions and
windows client is able access test1 container and unable to access test2. I
see the samba.conf, and other underlying component's config to be same for
the both the containers.

When I capture the mount operation through 'Map Network drive' operation. I
see following:

When I map test1 samba container, I see following commands in wireshark
capture:

*Session setup AndX Request, User systemxyz\user1; Tree connect AndX, Path:
\\10.250.241.174\IPC$
Session setup AndX Response; Tree connect AndX
Trans2 Request, GET_DFS_REFERRAL, File:\\10.250.241.174\test1
Trans2 Response, GET_DFS_REFERRAL, Erro: STATUS_NOT_FOUND
Tree Connect AndX Request, Path: \\10.250.241.174\TEST1
Tree Connect AndX Response*

When I map test2 samba container, I see following commands in wireshark
capture:

*Session setup AndX Request, User systemxyz\user1; Tree connect AndX, Path:
\\10.250.241.174\IPC$
Session setup AndX Response; Tree connect AndX
Trans2 Request, GET_DFS_REFERRAL, File:\\10.250.241.174\test2
Trans2 Response, GET_DFS_REFERRAL, Erro: STATUS_NOT_FOUND
Tree Disconnect Request
Tree Disconnect Response*

I observed the samba packet contents of above request,response commands but
couldn,t find why
"Tree Diconnect Request" command executed when I was accessing container
test2.

Thanks,
Sandeep.