Why smbd (version 4.1.0) uses source3/smbd/server.c not source4/smbd/server.c

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 28 21:11:02 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 17:45 -0700, Jun Yi wrote:
> Dear everybody,
>
> Could anybody told me the reason? Does the code of samba 3 and samba 4 mix
> together in the master branch.
> How can I let smbd be compiled from source4/smbd/server.c?

source4/smbd/server.c is compiled as 'samba'.

the source3/smbd/server.c is compiled as 'smbd'.  Both form part of the
Samba 4.0 release, and Samba 4.0 as an AD DC will use both components
(and many other shared parts).

We hope to reduce the confusion from our historical development
practices as we further integrate our unified Samba release.  What we
will release with Samba 4.0 is just the first step, we hope to continue
the process as time and resources allow.