Upgrading from Samba 4 alpha12 to beta 8 problems

Mark Walker mark.walker at mobilefun.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 10:32:56 MDT 2012

Hi Guys,

Have just reverted from our upgrade from samba 4.0.0 alpha12-GIT-dbbbc7d to
beta 8 having had a couple of show stopping problems running the new
version.

Prior to starting the new version I ran "samba-tool dbcheck --fix" which
gave a very large (1000+)  of missing GUID errors all of which I opted to
fix.

I was unable to use the RSAT tool  "Active Directory Users and Computers"
and was presented with the error

*Naming information cannot be located; Server not operational.*

Finally shared printers on client machines appeared to be be non working
too.

Weirdly despite all of this file serving seemed to work ok!

The Server is running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit

Does anyone have any advice for upgrading from such an early release? I
notice the samba 4 wiki states this version was not released. We appear to
be running a git copy as you can all see.

The global section of the configuration is attached with the only changes
section from old versions config being to ensure we continue to use the
NTVFS fileserver:
        server services = +smb -s3fs
        dcerpc endpoint servers = +winreg +srvsvc

--
Cheers,
Mark Walker