name resolve order parameter of smb.conf with testparm

Marcio Goncalves Oliveira marcio.oliveira at mpt.gov.br
Wed Sep 26 15:22:04 MDT 2012

I am writing this letter and I hope that I'll have answers about the
generation of smb.conf by the way of smb.conf.master with testparm
command. Like is described on page 5 of Samba3-HOWTO.pdf.

The situation is:
- The manual of smb.conf says that the default value of the parameter
?name resolve order? is ?lmhosts host wins bcast?, but when I type the
command like:

# testparm -s smb.conf.master > smb.conf

     the following occurs: the smb.conf generated by this command don't
have the parameter ?name resolve order? expressed, but in my
smb.conf.master is configured like:
?
name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast
At this situation, I think should appear the parameter because it is not a
default value. The order is different of default in smb.conf.master.

Thus, I would like to know if the documentation of samba is incorrect
about this configuration or testparm is with a problem to create the
smb.conf.

Yours Truly,

Marcio Gonçalves Oliveira
Técnico de Informática