'samba-tool domain classicupgrade' fails while reading posix attributes

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 20 18:30:45 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-09-20 at 19:51 +0200, Torsten Kurbad wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> today I upgraded my Samba 4 test install from beta3 to rc1.
>
> To migrate my OpenLDAP backed Samba 3 domain to AD, I copied over the
> smb.conf and database files from my existing Samba 3 domain controller
> ("kmrcserv") to the new one ("pdc").

> Failed to connect to ldap URL 'ldap://ldapsrv.iwm-kmrc.de' - LDAP client
> internal error: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
> Failed to connect to 'ldap://ldapsrv.iwm-kmrc.de' with backend 'ldap':
>  (null) Could not open ldb connection to ldap://ldapsrv.iwm-kmrc.de,
>  the error message is: (1, None)

As I've said before, this is your fundamental issue.  If we cannot, for
some reason, resolve the name ldapsrv.iwm-kmrc.de in the ldap:// handler
in ldb (which is different to the ldap handler in passdb, which uses
openldap directly) then we should, and will fail.

You need to dig into the code with either a higher debug level, or under
gdb and set breakpoints to find out why this happens.  A wireshark
network trace might also be revealing.