Samba4 RC1: bind DNS failure

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sun Sep 16 05:20:45 MDT 2012

On 14/09/12 01:18, Kai Blin wrote:
> On 2012-09-13 20:46, steve wrote:
>
> Hi Steve,
>
>> What we were expecting with RC1 was 'as you were' as of the last beta9.
>> RC's are normally as bulletproof as you can get them. But in this case
>> we decided to introduce new features. Great for first adopters.
>> Disastrous for those of us who have struggled through the years. .  How
>> wrong could we have been.
>
> I'm sorry the switch caused trouble. But I would still like to point out
> that we're talking about pre-release software here, and the changes are
> clearly mentioned in the release notes and WHATSNEW.txt. I think it's
> unfair to claim (as you did in another mail in this thread) that this
> isn't documented.
>
> We mainly switched the default because we believe that the internal
> server is way easier to get started with. If you have a BIND_DLZ setup
> that works, great, just put a "server services = -dns" into your
> smb.conf [global] section and keep using bind.
>
> Cheers,
> Kai

Hi Kai
No need to apologise at all. You did a great job.

All users needed was something like:
  'To switch to the new internal server simply add three lines to smb.conf:

interfaces = w.x.y.x
dns forwarder = a.b.c.d
allow dns updates = nonsecure and secure'

It was the three lines that were the difficult part

Thanks,
Steve