s4 master and ctdb

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Sun Sep 16 01:08:50 MDT 2012

On 2012-09-14 at 15:50 -0500, Taylor, Jonn wrote:
> On 09/13/2012 03:25 PM, Michael Adam wrote:
> >Hi Jonn,
> >
> >On 2012-09-13 at 13:49 -0500, Taylor, Jonn wrote:
> >>I am trying to build s4 with ctdb support. Source is at /usr.src/ctdb
> >>and /usr/src/samba-master CentOS 6.3 x86_64.
> >>
> >>Did normal build on ctdb and this is what I used to configure s4.
> >>
> >>./configure.developer --with-cluster-support --with-ctdb-dir=/usr/src/ctdb
> >>
> >>and this is the output
> >>
> >>Checking for header ctdb.h : not found
> >>building without cluster support: ctdb.h is required for cluster support
> >>
> >>locate ctdb.h
> >>/usr/local/include/ctdb.h
> >>/usr/src/ctdb/ib/ibw_ctdb.h
> >>/usr/src/ctdb/include/ctdb.h
> >>/usr/src/samba-master/ctdb/include/ctdb.h
> >>/usr/src/samba-master/source3/lib/dbwrap/dbwrap_ctdb.h
> >>

> >>What else did I miss???
> >Are you doing the top level build or the source3/ build?
> >
> >In the top level the option is called --with-ctdb-dir=... ,
> >while in the source3-build the option is --with-ctdb=...
> >
> >Sorry for that!
> >
> >Cheers - Michael
> This is what I am using but it will not see ctdb.h. I am doing a top
> level build as I plan on replacing 2 win2k ad servers with 2 clustered
> s4 s3fs servers. Right now I am running 2 node cluster on CentOS 5.8, S3
> 3.6, CTDB and DRDB.

A couple of general remarks:

* You should not cluster AD servers with ctdb, but file servers,
  typically domain member servers.

  For s4 that means to start only the source3-components,
  typically smbd and winbindd.

* You will not only need DRBD but a proper clustered file system,
  the storage of which might be replicated with DRBD.
  Examples are GFS2 , OCFS2, GPFS, and (I guess) Ceph.

  If you replicate a simple local file system (like ext or xfs),
  and access it simultaneously from multiple nodes, you risk data
  corruption.

> [root at dc3 samba-master]# ./configure.developer --with-cluster-support
> --with-ctdb-dir=/usr/local --enable-selftest
> Checking for program gcc or cc           : /usr/bin/gcc
> [...]
> Checking for header ctdb.h : not found
> building without cluster support: ctdb.h is required for cluster support

Could you please attach your bin/config.log or upload it
somewhere for further analysis?

Cheers - Michael