samba 4 rc1: internal dns

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 14 10:46:05 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 18:30 +0200, Michele Petrazzo wrote:
> On 14/09/2012 18:15, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >>>

> >> Perfect, it works! ;)
> >>
> >> Next question:
> >> mysrv:~#/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba -i -M single
> >>
> >> /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate: usage: nsupdate [-d] [-y
> >> keyname:secret | -k keyfile] [-v] [filename]
> >> ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update -
> >> NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
> > Your bind9-utils package (providing nsupdate) was not built with gssapi
> > support (which would then give you a -g flag).
>
> This is en error or a warning? I don't understand if samba 4 can be used
> or not.

Samba will work, but without this it cannot update it's own DNS
records.

> > Having removed our dependency on bind9 as a server, we do hope to remove
> > our dependency on the client as well (for this and other reasons), but
> > I'm not sure if this will change for the 4.0 release.
>
> Sorry, but:
> mysrv:~# find /usr/local/samba/ -iname "*nsup*"
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate
>
> are this the same? If yes, can we modify the sources to point to it?

The script samba_dnsupdate calls out to the system binary 'nsupdate' to
do the actual work here.

This is the fine line between re-using code and the simplicity that
comes from (re)implementing the functionality internally to Samba.  For
this and other reasons it seems clear that we will move to an internal
implementation of the features nsupdate provides in the future.