[Release Planning 4.0] Samba 4.0.0rc2 on October 2?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 14 06:17:28 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 11:44 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi Matthieu,
>
> > On 09/13/2012 11:46 PM, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> >> Hey folks,
> >>
> >> if there are no objections, I would like to schedule Samba 4.0.0rc2 for
> >> October.
> > A part of the AD guys will just have returned from the AD event in
> > Redmond as a rule of thumb we get a lot of patches there but not in a
> > decent version I think this time will be the same.
> > Can we plan on the next tuesday (9th of October) just to give people the
> > time to clean what has to be cleaned for rc2?
>
> I think we can have rc3 with such changes 2 weeks after rc2,
> I think we should release often and I don't think patches from the AD event
> are ready 1 week after the event, I think most of us need to recover
> from the events first.

I dislike assigning work for others, but I found the two-week tempo
worked really, really well in the betas, and so if Karolin is OK with a
two or three week cycle, I would prefer to keep to that faster rather
that slower.

Certainly the 9th won't offer any advantages over the 2nd for me in
terms of patch preparedness from the AD event, but may give our users
the chance to test the file server changes we make at/post SDC.