Samba4 RC1: bind DNS failure

Peter Clark pclark at pclark.com
Thu Sep 13 13:08:16 MDT 2012

> On 13/09/12 20:53, Peter Clark wrote:
>> use the
>> internal DNS server and the associated GUI admin-kit tools
>
> GUI admin kit tools? Hey, let me into the secret.

One of the Windows Remote Administration Tools is for DNS. I'm presuming
that's what we're supposed to be using once converted to be using the
internal DNS server to create and administer the rest of your zones. The
AD domain with dynamic updates takes care of itself, but if you kill BIND
to have Samba be the DNS server, you have to have something to replace
BIND with.

Unless I'm completely missing how this is supposed to work. Wouldn't be
the first time..