Samba4 RC1: bind DNS failure

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Sep 13 12:14:35 MDT 2012

On 13/09/12 19:37, steve wrote:
> On 13/09/12 19:08, Ricky Nance wrote:
>> Were you messing with the internal dns stuff at one point?
>
> Not on this LAN.
>
>   If so you may
>> have server services = +dns on make sure you have it -dns or just omit
>> it for bind9 dlz to work (as far as I know this hasn't changed to
>> default... yet).
>
> Hi Ricky
> The Internal DNS became the default with the release of the RC earlier
> today. Hence the problem I have.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve.

Hi
We simply need clear instructions as to either:
1. Go with the existing bind dlz which the majority of us have, or
2. Change to the new default internal dns server.

We also need to know
a. how to setup a forwarder
b. if there is a script that when if the samba binary goes down, it will
start bind instead so at east we can still have Internet.

I have been asked to translate as portavoz (spokesman, perhaps not
quite) the following:

'What a lost opportunity. A poor start for any RC. Introducing new and
untested configurations with minimal documetación. Do that _before_ the RC.'

Well, there was other stuff said but perhaps my Spanish just wasn't up
to it;)

Personally I would like to thank the Samba team on such a superb effort
to bring m$ servers within the reach of us all.

Saludos,
Steve