On keeping the docs

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Sep 13 05:15:29 MDT 2012

On 13/09/12 12:58, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> Am Thursday, den 13.09.2012, 12:27 +0200 schrieb Björn JACKE:
>> On 2012-09-13 at 07:03 +1000 Andrew Bartlett sent off:
  We
>> have a hard time just getting the smb.conf options documented in the man page
>> actually.

If you want to allocate time, what end users would like are answers to
simple stuff like this:

1.This is what you can put into smb.conf using the samba binary from
Samba 4 RC1. (write a list, most common first)

2. This is what you can put into smb.conf using the smbd binary from
Samba 4 RC1 (ditto)

3. These are the differences when you run smbd from a Samba 3.x release
as compared to (1) and (2) above. (write another list)

What users are frustrated about right now is the suck it and see trial
and error methods. We can't/don't read code so we really do need this
spelling out in plain English terms. smb.conf documentation. Please.

Cheers,
Steve