lock directory / wins

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Tue Sep 11 15:19:37 MDT 2012

On 11/09/12 19:29, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
>> 137 is the nmbd port and I do not run nmbd, in fact I think that you now
>> cannot run the samba & nmbd daemons together.
>>
>> It could be that you are trying to run your s3 server as if it was an NT
>> domain server, if you are, you need to start thinking AD, start by
>> going here:
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_%26_Active_Directory
>
> The WHATHSNEW.txt said:
> There is no NetBIOS browsing support (network neighbourhood) available
> for the AD domain controller.  (Support in nmbd and smbd for classic
> domains and member/standalone servers is unchanged).
>
> That's why I tought why my s4 DC can't provide the network
> neighbourhood list for the network.
>
> So what do I need to get a working network neighbourhood list (with
> all machines from from all subnets) and a working wins server
> (regardless if it's provided by the s4 DC or a s3 member)?
>

> Regards,
> Marc

Hi, what were you running before, a workgroup or a domain?
As for the wins server, you use the nameserver you created when you
provisioned samba4 instead.

Have you read the webpage I pointed you at? You need to join the Samba 3
server to the samba4 domain as a member server.

A samba 4 server is just the same as a windows active directory server
(or rather it will be) and you should read up on this (Google is your
friend) ;-)

Rowland

believed to be clean.