Default DNS server for Samba 4.0

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Sep 10 11:30:57 MDT 2012

On 10/09/12 10:48, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:24:11AM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
>> But for the default setup, the simple, single DC installation,
>> the built in DNS server that "just works" (TM) seems to be the
>> perfect match, regarding the user experience, despite the youth
>> of the code.
>>
>> This is why I argue why 4.0 and not a later release would be
>> ghe perfect time for changing the default for 4.0.
>
> I agree. Not using the own DNS server by default would be strange from my point
> of view (thinking of public image). We will have some RCs to fix possible bugs.

If it's made the default, could we at least look in named.conf, extract
the forwarders, add a sensible interfaces line and put them in smb.conf?
IOW, generally make it a painless transition to those of us who
provisioned with bind and who would like to give internal a go without
re-provision?

Is that a possibility?
Cheers,
Steve