user authentication issues with samba4-beta5 as a member server

Jean Raby jraby at inverse.ca
Fri Sep 7 15:46:33 MDT 2012

On 12-09-07 12:31 PM, Jean Raby wrote:
> On 12-09-06 6:02 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>>> Indeed, samba will start if 'dcerpc endpoint servers' contains
>>> 'mapiproxy'.
>>> It didn't work in my tests since I was using a minimal smb.conf without
>>> this parameter.
>>>
>>> However, I get the same behavior when trying to authenticate a user
>>> using wbinfo -K :
>>
>> Ahh, this is simple. wbinfo -K is unimplemented in the winbind in the
>> 'samba' binary. wbinfo -a should work however.
>
> Unfortunately 'wbinfo -a' doesn't work either.
> I'll dive in with gdb and try to understand what's going on here.
>
> I've also attached the output from samba -d10, maybe that can be useful
> to understand what's wrong.

After digging for a while, it looks like the credentials are correctly
sent to the DC, but it refuses them with 'access denied' as can be seen
in the netlogon debug log:

09/07 16:13:04 [LOGON] OPENCHANGE: SamLogon: Network logon of
OPENCHANGE\sogo1 from  (via SOGO) Entered
09/07 16:13:04 [LOGON] OPENCHANGE: SamLogon: Network logon of
OPENCHANGE\sogo1 from  (via SOGO) Returns 0xC000002

Googling around for that kind of issue turned up some results stating
that this could happen if the machine doing the auth request (SOGO in
this case) is not correctly joined to the domain.

So I went ahead and tried 'wbinfo -t' to test the shared secret (which I
assume is the machine account password?) and that didn't work either.
Here's the netlogon log excerpt:
09/07 16:14:41 [LOGON] OPENCHANGE: SamLogon: Network logon of
OPENCHANGE\SOGO$ from SOGO (via SOGO) Entered
09/07 16:14:41 [LOGON] OPENCHANGE: SamLogon: Network logon of
OPENCHANGE\SOGO$ from SOGO (via SOGO) Returns 0xC0000022

Is that expected at this time or should it work?

I've also tested the machine password using wbinfo -a 'sogo$' from a
samba3 machine joined to the domain and it worked as expected...

--
Jean