The unused function list

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 7 00:14:39 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 08:09 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> On 2012-09-07 02:36, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > Just a reminder that we generate a list of unused functions at:
> >
> > https://build.samba.org/lcov/data/coverage/samba_4_0_test/unused-fns.txt
> >
> > Some of these functions are from heimdal, pidl or complete an API that
> > isn't fully used, but there are others that are just unused, and could
> > be removed.  (And of course unused code is very much untested code).
>
> How is this list generated? Only from smbtorture calls?
> I'm asking because in addition to the relatively sparse set of "real"
> unit tests, we have a lot of tests that are more broad functional tests.
> Many of our blackbox tests e.g. for wbinfo fall into that category.
>
> I'm mainly asking because this list reports that
> lpcfg_dns_recursive_queries is unused.
>
> This function is called for each and every DNS packet we process. It is
> run ~20 times from the dns tests at least.

The compiler is a wrapper around gcc called callcatcher:
http://www.skynet.ie/~caolan/Packages/callcatcher.html

The list is then filtered down from
https://build.samba.org/lcov/data/coverage/samba_4_0_test/all-unused-fns.txt with callcatcher-excpetions.grep in the top of the git tree.

While it's distinct from the lcov run, it's done in the same build
because both are quite slow.