Default DNS server for Samba 4.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 6 16:16:11 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 09:21 -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Michael Adam <obnox at samba.org> wrote:
> > Maybe Metze in his infinite wisdom has written the best
> > solution for this in his earlier mail:
> >
> > Let's not set a default. Require the user to specify the
> > desired backend in provision!
>
> Giving the users a choice implies they know enough to make the right choice :).
>
> If they don't, we might as well make the poor user flip coins.
>
> This isn't a "punt" issue.  We'll need to make a choice.  I'm leaning
> to backing Kai here.  I don't think there's an in-surmountable hurdle,
> based on what I am reading.

I agree this isn't a punt issue.  This needs to be an evidence-based
choice that the team makes and recommends to our users.

For me, the key remains testing.  The interest shown on the list should
make an accelerated program of testing in various real-world situations
easier.  But the automated tests still need to be written and added to
'make test'.

This (the GSS-TSIG updates feature) is brand new code, and we know by
bitter experience that new code never 'just works'.  Given that DNS code
is so critical to the operation of the AD, that is why I'm so insistent
here.

Finally, I agree with Mat that the issue of continuing maintainer-ship
should be addressed.

Bjoern,

Perhaps you could do a run in your wintest environment?  That would
certainly increase the confidence here, by covering the key
combinations.