RHEL6 init.d script (was Re: Initscript Debian Wheezy)

Ricky Nance ricky.nance at weaubleau.k12.mo.us
Thu Sep 6 09:23:03 MDT 2012

Marc, odd thing happened to me just now. I just spent the last 20 mins
troubleshooting slow/unresponsive windows machines (across the network)
because smbd 'hung' and samba had died (well I had restarted it and smbd
didn't die as it should have). Not trying to be snide with this, but please
explain to me again how this can't happen? Check the last couple of lines
here http://paste.ubuntu.com/1189108/ . I agree with you this shouldn't
ever be a problem, but it is on occasion, and the init script didn't
perform as expected (making sure the processes are actually dead before say
'OK' on the stop line). Also, there has never been an ability to run smbd
and samba at the same time unless samba spawned it (otherwise samba just
fails to run right if smbd is running first), and I am always within a few
days of the current git as I am constantly testing things for the project.
As for the PID causing samba to not start that I was referring to, I think
it must have been this commit
http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commit;h=d6bba7bf1a77244bc47eaeef67bb9680175ec0bcbut
I do recall something that Jeremy Allison patched (I think) so this
may
not be the one I am thinking of, but either way that issue has been
resolved.

Here is a backtrace of the smbd process that had died, but failed to
terminate.. http://paste.ubuntu.com/1189108/

Ricky