Samba4 Beta Test Results

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 5 18:53:46 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 17:14 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 12:16 +0200, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> > Am 04.09.2012 07:35, schrieb Zane Zakraisek:
> > > The only thing that I
> > > had trouble with was a share that I named "homes" (without quotes).
> >
> > Add
> >
> > [homes]
> >         read only = No
> >
> > (nothing else is required) to your smb.conf and restart.
> >
> > BUT: The users need to have a value in their "homeDirectory" attribute,
> > pointing to the path (like "/home/muehlfeld").
>
> Actually, we don't use that value in the AD DC.  I know it is much
> asked-for, but it's just not used yet.
>
> > The easiest thing is, to have the home shares on a s3 server, where you get
> > the user information via winbind and "template homedir = /home/%U" in smb.conf
> > Then you don't need to have the homeDirectory Attribute filled.
>
> The default is
>
> template homedir = /home/%WORKGROUP%/%ACCOUNTNAME%
>
> You can of course change this.  It is equivilent to the default in Samba
> 3.6 and in the winbindd binary of:
> 	template homedir = /home/%D/%U
>
> > Maybe it's a good idea if somebody with write access to the wiki could add
> > some information about s4 and homes to it. This question was often asked in
> > the past.

I should mention that the primary issue with [homes] is that it requires
that the user exist via nss (ie getent passwd domain\\username).  You
need nss_winbind configured correctly.

Most of the rest of Samba as an AD DC works very well without nss
configured, but this was never an intended mode of operation for the
smbd file server we now use.  As such, things like this come up from
time to time.