user authentication issues with samba4-beta5 as a member server

Jean Raby jraby at inverse.ca
Wed Sep 5 10:48:33 MDT 2012

On 12-08-31 2:02 AM, Michael Wood wrote:

>> >  I forgot to say, I think I need 'samba' (as opposed to smbd) since this is
>> >  for an openchange setup and it requires dcerpc_mapiproxy, which is not
>> >  available with smbd.
> Well, in that case I can't help you:)

Alright, I tested this again with beta8 and /usr/sbin/samba won't even
start when configured as a member server.
So I guess the release notes were right ;-)

We've been using samba as a DC along with openchange and sogo and it
works pretty well for our development needs, but we're trying to find a
way to integrate that with existing domains with a windows DC.

At first I thought that we'd simply have to join samba as a member
server, but obviously, that won't work for now.

Are there any other options that we could try to be able to authenticate
users against an existing domain short of joining samba as a DC?
Or if it is not possible at all right now, is this something that might
be implemented in the foreseeable future?

Like I said earlier, we need to use 'samba' instead of smbd since we
need to use the following configuration parameters, which I think are
only available with the samba daemon :

   dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, mapiproxy
   dcerpc_mapiproxy:server = true
   dcerpc_mapiproxy:interfaces = exchange_emsmdb, exchange_nsp,
exchange_ds_rfr

Thanks.

--
Jean