RHEL6 init.d script (was Re: Initscript Debian Wheezy)

Marc Muehlfeld Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de
Tue Sep 4 00:19:23 MDT 2012

Hello Ricky,

Am 03.09.2012 23:23, schrieb Ricky Nance:
> What happens if smbd decides to stick when you are running s3fs? I don't
> think your init script accounts for such a failure.

What do you mean by 'stick'? If processes are hanging, you can restart the
services with the script.

smbd is started by the samba process. I don't know if it's a good idea to kill
just the smbd process and start it by hand, because:

- 'smbd' is a child process of 'samba'. I guess if you start it separate,
'samba' could have problems if it's not a child process. At least here, if I
kill all smbd processes and start /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd --configfile
/usr/local/samba/private/smbd.tmp/fileserver.conf --foreground by hand, I
can't access any share on this server.

- if you start 'samba', then it creates a .../private/smbd.tmp/fileserver.conf
on startup. If it's not started by 'samba', then you propably use an outdated
fileserver.conf

> I also think that the script should remove /usr/local/samba/var/samba.pid
 > (and smbd?) if samba fails to shutdown properly.

I think it's not neccessary. I hard reset my test DC (so the PID files haven't
been removed for sure). After the system was up again, I had running
samba/smbd processes and two new *.pid files in var/run with the PIDs of new
processes. The logfiles also don't have any complains and my XP Workstation
could log on to the DC. So everything was brought up and is fine in that scenario.

Samba is handling this internally and checks if there is an old PID file and
decide to start or not (if already running).

Regards,
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (IT-Leiter)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin